I've rented access to a grass pasture across the road from AG, and today was his first time over there (and the first blanket-free day in months and months, yeah spring!!). The weather today is perfect, 15 degrees, sunny with a slight breeze - and mosquitoes!!! Bit early for that :( I just let him graze for a hour to let him get used to the grass, and will get him over there a few times a week gradually increasing the amount of time.
We went on a trail ride today, first one at AG :D An hour and 15 mins, with 3 good canters - one of them actually turned into a gallop, he told me he needed to stretch out and GO ;) He was checking out his surroundings the whole ride, stopping up every now and then to get a good look at something, as though he knew that he might as well hurry up and get familiar in the new surroundings :D He felt good in his movement, and was very steady and accepting on the bit once he'd warmed up and his nose wasn't bothering him as much - gave me some very high quality trot work, the best I've ever felt!
Our ride took us past EGE, where he was boarded in July-November last year. The path we came by was one that I had used for interval training whil we were there - I called it "The Racetrack" ;) The footing was always good, and one of the only longer paths close to EGE suitable for canter/gallop work, so Barokko was very familiar with those 1.5 kms.
At EGE I'd often warm him up in walk/trot away from the barn, and then do our fast work on the way home. One day I just let him be in charge when we turned home, to see what he'd chose to do if left to his own devices - he started at a steady canter, accelerated up a slight incline, went down to a walk down a hill, canter again at the bottom, up to a gallop on a long flat stretch, down to a walk where a path crosses the riding path, looked both ways before crossing (seriously!!), canter again, and then a good gallop on the last stretch which was a slight incline. Down to a walk when we reached the first pasture, and he walked himself home on a long rein :D
When we got to that path today, he perked up a bit, he clearly remembered it! We walked/trotted the first section (past the crossing path), and then I put him in a steady canter. He asked if he could accelerate on the last incline, but I kept him nice and easy. When we got to the first pasture, he put on the brakes - hey mom, we're supposed to walk here! ;)
On another note, we're taking a trip to the vet's tomorrow. Barokko's had a cough for a while, it began before he moved from MAK, and he's still bothered by it. I talked to the vet this morning, and he wants to endoscope him to see what's going on, he's had several coughs throughout the fall and winter.
I don't know if it's related, but he seemed bothered in his nose today, wanting to rub his nose all the time, twitching his head every now and then - very similar to Sofus' pollen allergy induced headshaking symptoms :/ I'll ask the vet about that tomorrow, it bothers me that there's a new pattern...
Tuesday, April 01, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
lucky you! And Barokko, that looks like a real nice grassy pasture.
I wish I had one for Odin (who would also grow very round :P).
Oh, and I am serious envious of the weather, Monday I put the medium (winter) blanket back on. Snow and flowering trees shouldn't go together :(
Post a Comment