When I got to the barn this morning, Barokko had eaten a lot of his straw bedding. I guess he was trying to tell me he wasn't happy about not having been in the grass pasture the past few days... So we remedied that, turned him out with T for four hours today ;)
We plan to put them on 24/7 pasture in 2 weeks if the weather complies, taking a little extra time to get them up to full days of grass before then.
I got a Mullen Mought Eggbutt bit for him, tried it out Tuesday. He seemed marginally more comfortable in it than the double-jointed loose ring, so I'll try using it for our trail rides. I am going to stick to my plan of doing dressage work in-hand in a cavesson and leaving riding (and bits) for trail rides.
Speaking of trail rides, I went on a fun one on Sunday. I rode out alone about halfway to EGE, where we met up with 2 friends, and then rode on as a little group. When I left AG, T stood at the top of the hill in the pasture, and whinnied until we were out of sight - didn't exactly make Barokko more inclined to leave :/ Then we met a group of fishermen and their dogs and fishing gear, and he just said "Bugger this for a lark", and tried to spin-and-bolt. He succeeded in the spin 5 or 6 times, but not the bolt ;) And as soon as I got him past them he behaved marvelously the rest of the ride, indicating that it had nothing really to do with the "scary fishermen" and everything to do with his bestest buddy back home.
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment