When I got to the barn this morning, Barokko was standing by the gate for once, Normally he's at the top of the hill in the mornings. When I came into the pasture he came straight over to me, and leaned his head into my arms - while it was very endearing, it wasn't his normal behavior, so a bit puzzling.
I led him into the stable to groom and tack up. He seemed very tired, head down, not as interested in his surroundings as he usually is. I checked everything I could think of for pain or signs of illness, but couldn't find anything.
I decided to ride, and see what happened - maybe he was just tired. He seemed willing enough, but it was as tho his body wasn't really cooperating with his mind - a wierd combination of being fresh in the head and lazy in the body.
I kept the training set pretty short, just loosened him up a bit.
Turned him back out, and again he stayed by the gate - usually he trots away to get to the grass and the other horses... hmmm... I went into the stable to put his gear away, and then came back out to check on him - still standing at the gate, and when he saw me, he whinnied several times at me, clearly trying to signal something, but what?!?!?!
I went to his stall to see if anything there looked out of place. Seemed OK, only thing I noticed was that his water bucket was empty. I filled it and brought it out to him in the pasture, figured it was worth a try.
He drank and drank and drank and drank - I filled up the bucket 4 more times before he had had his fill - that's over 40 L in one go!!! No wonder he wasn't himself, poor guy was dehydrated!
Barokko is in one of 6 stalls watered in buckets, all the others have automatic waterers. Apparently, the barn staff had forgotten to water them >:(
Horses teach me all the time - if they seem off, they ARE off. It's up to us to figure out WHAT the problem is, they can only tell us THAT it is.
Friday, October 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
poor guy! Good that you figured it out. That is a good lesson for all of us.
Here I don't see that many automatic water-thingies, unfortunatly. I don't like the buckets.
I have made it a habit to always check Odin's when I ride him, after he had almost empty buckets one night. This season of hot/cold blanket on/off makes for a time when he possibly is sweating a lot!
Post a Comment