Tuesday, February 03, 2009

He's a Brand New Horse!

It's really real, he's OK :D
It's like getting a new horse, he's completely changed. He's energetic and forward, he really truly feels like a happy horse!

I rode up to the indoor at HRK this morning. We trotted and trotted :) After a few rounds he'd tire, I'd give him a walk break, and then we trotted some more. Beatiful, flowing trot, I'm soooooo happy, I honestly never thought I'd feel him like this again! He's a bit stiff, especially to the left - the pneumonia was worst in the right lung, and I think he tensed up more in the muscles along the right side, making it hard to stretch them to bend left.

He was fairly stable on the bit, he worked well over the back more often than not. There were times he tensed up a bit, esp on the left rein, but he was generally relaxed.

I asked the vet about how I should proceed with him from here on out, she said to give him 4 more weeks of light work under saddle and on the longe, walk and trot FDO, bending work to get him loosened up and supple, but without any real pressure. Gradually add in short canter intervals. After the 4 weeks I can begin training him more normally, W-T-C, gradually begin jumping, hill work, etc.

Oh, and I think I better get out the dressage saddle again, we didn't really fit in with the crowd at HRK this morning :P They were all on their body clipped, sleek and fit dressage machines, in their dressage saddles with white pads and wraps - and Barokko in his winter woolies, impossible to get clean, long loose mane, no noseband, in a Wintec jumping saddle with a lambskin-covered breastcollar, blue and yellow pad, and me wearing both helmet and safety vest! ;)

1 comment:

Suzie said...

Nothing wrong with not fitting in!! I'm really happy that he's back to his old self - must be a big relief. Have fun!!