Thursday, January 29, 2009

We Trotted!

As planned, I rode Barokko today. In the beginning of the walk he cleared his airways a lot, and coughed a few times, but was more forward than last time I rode him. I did some bending work with him, transitions between walk, halt and rein back, and a little shoulder-in and haunches-in.
Then I tried a transition to trot. Good transition, but a very unenergetic trot. Initially I thought oh no, it's just like it was before, he'll fall back to walk within a few steps, but then he kept going! He trotted a full 20 m circle before I brought him back down to walk. Then I tried again, and same thing, not a lot of power, but it was trot, and he kept going until I said stop. We trotted 6-8 little trot sets, without resistance. It was the flattest, dullest, most boring trot in the world, and yet totally, amazingly fantastic :D

I'm beginning to believe now that we've gotten past the worst of it, and that it'll be forward from here. It's a loooong road back, but it looks like at least now we've gotten started!

No comments: