Everything's been going pretty well with giving him the meds, keeping the catheter clean, and entertaining him sufficiently to avoid him banging down the stall wall. Two days ago he had rubbed the catheter during the night, pulling out one of the stitches. The cateter was still in place, so the vet just put in a new stitch when he came by anyway to check on him and give me the rest of the meds I needed.
Last night I was the one evening I couldn't make it to the barn myself, so one of the other boarders had offered to clean the catheter and check on him. When she gets to the barn, the entire catheter is lying in the bedding >:( Bad pony!
I hurried home to check on him, cleaned it up and removed the remains of the stitches. He was a little swollen around where the stitches had been pulled out, but otherwise it looked OK.
This morning I had the vet out, and we decided he might as well just come out and inject the meds directly into the vein the last 3 days rather than placing a new catheter. Looking at the positive side of things, without the catheter he can be turned out with the other horses again, making him happier and my job a lot easier ;)
2 more days of meds, and then 2 weeks until the next BAL samples, then 1 more week until the results come back, hopefully squeaky clean!
Friday, November 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment