
Not visible on the pic is the fact that his muzzle and front legs are bright yellow from grazing in them :)
Barokko's been testing limits a lot lately, being kind of a brat both on the ground and under saddle - teenage horses, gotta love 'em ;) I decided to set up a makeshift round pen and give him a little join up session. I used jump standards and poles to make the pen, and let him in. The poles were at a height of 110 cm, which I figured would be plenty high - well, it wasn't! First time I drove him away from me he went right over to the perimiter and jumped out, easy as nothing, and effortless and graceful free jump :P
I set the poles up to 130 cm and tried again ;) It took all of about 3 seconds before he lowered his head and started chewing. The first 2 times I invited him to join up he quickly got distracted, but after I'd sent him away the third time he became 100% focussed on me, following me around, paying close attention to my every move.
After a thorough grooming I turned him out for the day. When I went to get him in the afternoon, he stopped grazing the moment he spotted me. He came over to me and followed me around the pasture, again giving me his complete attention.
Barokko's not a dominant horse at all, he's friendly and sociable, easy to handle, and it's only because I've been lulled into complacency by his puppy dog nature that we've developed any kind of respect issues. My bad :/
No comments:
Post a Comment