Friday, May 09, 2008

The Great Outdoors

I jumped him today, for the first time in ages. It was so much fun, he was eager and confident, super focussed on the task at hand :D

M had set up a gymnastic line for us, a trot pole into a bounce line consisting of 4 poles raised to ca 50 cm in one end (alternating left and right), and a 60cm vertical at the end. He's always tense in the A end of the arena, and I had a hard time getting him out to the rail there, but the line was along the long side between K & E, so I had to get him out there in order to set him up properly. The first approach was a bit messy, but as soon as I got him lined up he pulled toward the jump, judged the distances perfectly, and flew over in a steady rhythm.

The arena at AG isn't completely level, it slopes a bit downward toward C, so we were jumping downhill, which added to the sensation of him stretching his strides to reach the next jump ;)

We also did a combination, 2 uprights with one stride between them. I unfortunately misjudged his take-off in out first try, and knocked him in the mouth in the landing :( He was a little hesitant in the next few tries, but then we got properly through it a couple times after that.

Barokko's very willing with jumps, he's ready to give anything a go if you point him at it, it doesn't even occur to him to second guess the rider - if you point him at something it must be because it's OK, so off we go!

While M packed away the jumps I fed him dinner, and then we lead him over to the grass pasture. He was a little edgy when he realized we were going off property, alone, after dark, but as soon as I turned him loose he relaxed, and got down to business - eating! ;) He's spending his first night outdoors tonight, and barring any problems I plan on leaving him there 24/7 for the forseeable future.

No comments: