I've been very focused lately on Barokko's warm-ups. He's been a slow starter ever since his tying-up, walking very slowly in the beginning, stiff if I ask him to trot too soon, unwilling to bend before he's really warm etc. On some days, he's a bit unwilling to go out of his stall, and sometimes seems slightly uncomfortable lifting his hinds. I'm becoming more and more convinced that he does have EPSM...
I hope I soon get a stall at the barn I talked about a few posts ago, so I can get him onto a 100% starch free diet + lots of turn-out. I went there yesterday to see a lesson with their classical dressage trainer. They mostly did in-hand work, which is great, I've wanted to learn more in-hand work for a long time, but haven't had an instructor who was willing/able to teach it to me. A lot of things I've been able to work with on my own, but I do miss having a regular instructor to work with.
While at the barn I talked to the two riders who were having lessons. They were both very nice, and definitely people I'd enjoy spending time with, going on trail rides with etc. They also seemed positive toward me, and as we talked more they began saying things like "when you move her we'll blah blah..." :D
Anyway, back to my warm-up plans, basically they just involve spending a bit more time on it. 10 mins handwalking, 10 mins light lunging (if I am able to, can't lunge if there are too many people riding), then 10-20 mins walk work (bending, lateral movements, W-P-W transitions etc) either in-hand or under saddle, and then trot & canter work with many walk breaks.
Thursday, February 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment