Monday, February 25, 2008

BAD Spotted Pony!

Barokko threw me :(

Rode out on trails with him yesterday morning, beautiful day, but brisk and windy. Nothing out of the ordinary, twice we met other horses where Barokko wanted to follow them, and I had to convince him otherwise, but besides that he was calm and relaxed.

I rode out onto Eremitage Sletten and let him decide what he felt like doing - he felt like cantering, so off we went. We passed a group of birds pecking at worms or whatever it is birds do, right about here:


View Larger Map

When we passed they flew into the air, and he understandably scootched to the left. I gave him a nudge with my left leg to keep him on track, and then he went into rodeo-mode - buck, buck, buck - HUGE ones, and they just kept coming, at least 6 of them. Finally, I couldn't hold on anymore, and SMACK I hit the ground head/upper back first. I felt the helmet give under the pressure, oooh boy I love love love my (now-retired) helmet!!!!!!

I considered getting up, but my head and neck told me to stay still, so I did. After a while I was able to get my phone out to call the barn and ask them to look for Barokko. Apparently, he found some grass on the way home and was grazing quietly when they found him.

A mail man had seen Barokko tear off, and drove back where he had come from, and found me. We agreed an ambulance was in order, as my head and neck were in serious pain, and I had no inclination whatsoever to move at all.

When the EMTs got there they immobilized me, and took me to Rigshospitalets Trauma Center. They were super professional, had me checked out and X-rayed and cleared within 15 minutes of arrival. Gave me a shot of something magical, and the pain took off, aaah. I came out of it with a light concussion + muscular trauma in the entire neck region, and of course the usual bumps and bruises.

I spent the day in observation, having BP, pulse, pupil reactions etc checked regularly. After a few hours the acute pain dissapated, and when the dizziness and nausea also lessened they let me go home to spend the night.

So the next few days will be spent in bed, sore and bored. Sorry for typos, by the way, I'm trying to type without looking at the screen too much ;)

1 comment:

Suzie said...

Ouch! Glad you're (sort of) ok - aren't horses great for reminding us that they very much have minds of their own!
Hope you're back in the saddle soon :)