Monday, November 12, 2007

The saddle done did it!!

Vet looked at him on the longe this morning, first one way, then the other. Hmmm, he said, he's not lame, there's something going on, but it's not in his legs. Then he checked his sacroiliac region, where I held my breath tensely - Coco was euthanized this spring due to an injury in the sacroiliac region, and I was terrified Barokko would show the same reaction Coco had done - but nothing abnormal there, phew!

He then went on to check the back, and voila. Muscular pain on the left side of the spine, just where the back panel of the saddle rests.

Suddenly all his symptoms fit - the swollen fores were never part of it, just happened to coincide with the timing. I got a new dressage saddle 6 weeks ago, and began noticing something wierd about him 4 weeks ago. Very very faint until this weekend, not always there, I couldn't see anything when he was loose or on the longe, and only noticed it in dressage. I gave him a few days off with the foreleg thing, and then started on trails when bringing him back into work, and he felt really good, but after a couple of dresage rides there it was again...

I am SO relieved that there was a simple outside cause!

So now it's 14 days without a saddle - longe work, riding without a saddle, free jumping etc, we'll find lots of things to do :) I'll get him some massage next week, and then of course get the saddle fitter out.

Well, here's a great opportunity to learn to ride that kick-ass canter of his without a saddle :D

No comments: