I've begun project spanish walk with Barokko. Did the first lesson last night, introducing him to the concept of "hey, she has treats!" and then on to "hmm, I think have to do something to get those treats," followed by "oh, doing stufff without being told to doesn't get me treats."
This is what we're working toward, although I think we'll do it without the silly costume :P
I tickled him with the whip on the leg at the same time as lifting up on the inside snaffle rein (in the finished spanish walk under saddle the lifted rein will be the only aid). Praise and a treat when he lifted the leg. Initially I rewarded any lift, and once he understood that concept I waited to praise until he held the leg in the air for a bit, rather than just plonking it down again right away. I didn't reward if he moved around, I wanted to make it clear that I wanted the lift, not movement. Then when the jambette is good I'll add in forward movement.
Barokko is VERY motivated by food, and with about 20 small treats I got him to lift and hold his leg up for about a second and a half, by rein aid alone. Pretty good for the first lesson :)
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
great that he is so easy to train :) I hope you have fun with him. He will look awesome doing it :)
Post a Comment