Monday, October 27, 2008

Peat Moss Bedding

This weekend we bedded Barokko's stall with peat moss. I've never worked with a peat moss stall before, so I'm really curious to see how it'll work out.

So far the only draw back I've noticed is the color - peat moss is dark brown, making it difficult to find the manure when cleaning the stall. Luckily, Barokko does his business mostly in one corner, so it's not spread out too much. Because the peat moss doesn't smell like much of anything in itself, the manure smell is more noticable than in a straw or shavings stall - but there's no ammonia smell, so all in all preferable IMO!

There's much less waste than even a shavings stall, when on shavings I'd usually remove one small wheelbarrow of waste every day, on peat moss I took out less than a third of a barrow-full! Of course it's a new bed, so there wasn't any soaked bedding yet, but there's no way I'll end up removing nearly as much as I did with shavings.

The peat moss is also much more stable than shavings, leaving a very level bed even after he's been in all night, in contrast to the hills-and-valleys landscape in his shavings stall every morning.

So far I'm very positive, I bought enough to try it out for a couple of months, and after that I'll decide whether to continue or go back to shavings.

1 comment:

Matt Jenkins said...

I came across your blog entry while researching peat moss for bedding. I couldn't find where you ever commented on it again. Did you end up sticking with the peat moss?