He was wearing his new bit (Myler Comfort Snaffle Wide Barrel Loose Ring) and he didn't protest against it a single time. Keeping my fingers crossed that I've finally found a snaffle he doesn't hate!

That's the good news. Bad news is that everything else sucks ;) He hasn't been ridden much since May. I still have confidence issues (namely a lack thereof) when riding Barokko, so I made a decision to ride a lot on other horses and the focus on the in-hand work with Barokko until I felt like getting back on. I think it was a good decision, I've gotten a lot of good, fun, challenging rides in on other horses, and when I rode Barokko out today I could really feel a huge difference, I felt much more secure.
All of his buttons need major re-tuning. He was a good boy, very looky but not tense. But he more or less ignored all of my aids. Legs, seat, reins, everything, no finess in the signals whatsoever. He wasn't doing anything wrong, it was just as though every aid I gave had to go through a wall of cotton wool before reaching him ;)
I'm going to be riding more now, I'm off work for 3 weeks starting next week, and I'll be spending my vacation on re-awakening him to ridden commands (from the ground he's super obediant, quick off my signals etc, it's not because he doesn't want to listen to me in general).
No comments:
Post a Comment