Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Barokko and I were both lazy dogs on Friday, I was going to work him in hand, but neither of us could really be bothered to do much of anything. I did about 10 minutes of bit acceptance exercizes, then closed off the arena, took off his bridle and then we just puttered around a bit. Horsemanship freaks would just about die for the connection Barokko and I have together on the ground, he is so absolutely trusting of me after all of the in hand and longe work, he's completely in-tune to my body language and follows my every little cue to stop, go, turn, back up, go past scary things like the horse-eating hay bales behind the fence at A... ;)

Saturday he got the day off after a long week, and then Sunday I tacked him up for some dressage. I tried to work him the same way I'd do from the ground. Started with lots and lots of walk work, stretching him FDO, working on alternating the amount of bend, keeping him stable on the outside rein. He tenses up easier under saddle than in hand, and this slow and quiet work in the beginning really helps to get him relaxed. Then I began doing walk-trot-walk transitions, just a few steps of trot at a time, focussing on the sharpness of the transitions. Once they were quick off a light aid I asked for longer periods of trot, asking for FDO in the trot, which he soon began to give me fairly stably. Then I started the canter the same way, first many brief transitions, and then on to asking for a steady connection. I got it, I also got a nice stretch FDO in the canter, and then I got a buck >:( Just one, but it shattered my relaxed contentment. I kicked him forward, cantered another circle, took him into trot, cooled him down on a few big figure-8's, and then I had to get off, my whole body was shaking like crazy.

It was a really good ride, the only times he was unstable on the bit was when he tensed up either because of scary things outside the arena, or if what I was asking for was a little difficult for him. I felt like all the imperfections in the ride were things I could correct with some more riding, unlike previously where I saw no rhyme or reason in his connection issues. So now I just need to get my confidence back so I don't have a nervous breakdown every time he throws in a buck - I don't mind other horses bucking with me, but when Barokko does it... *sigh*

No comments: