Monday, January 28, 2008

Goofing around

Had another exciting trail ride Friday, lots of "whee lets go mom, lets go lets go go go come ooooon" ;) So I figured we'd try a little jump, found a suitable log, the biggest I've set him over so far, but still small in the real world. First time he was a bit too eager, tempo got too high and he swerved at the last moment and went around. Second try I was ready to catch his acceleration, and kept my legs on him, and he jumped it very nicely - and then landed and set off at top speed, took me a while to stop! But then I took him over once more, where he was much more relaxed, so we left it on a good note.

On Saturday F tried him in the arena, just puttering around a bit to get a feel for each other. Barokko's a bit silly with new riders, I've seen it both with my old trainer, and with J, and also with F. First he'll take his head up when they try to put on the bridle (puts his head down for me). Then when they go to mount, he'll walk away from the mounting block (stands still for me). And in the arena he'll be a lazy bum, not wanting to canter etc (but if I get on, off we go). Despite all that ;) F liked him, and said yes to a half lease. For now he'll ride him every Sunday, and then maybe also a week-day when it turn light enough in the evenings. Now I just hope Barokko doesn't act too silly on trails with him the first few times :P

M had her last regular Sunday ride yesterday, and he went all out - she called on her way home, laughing and giggling because he'd been such a goof - he had even reared with her! So methinks it's time to step up his work-load a bit :D

2 comments:

Suzie said...

So glad you've found someone suitable - I still haven't been able to bring myself to let anyone else ride Echo yet!! ;) Looks like money struggles are the theme at the moment!
Pleased that he's feeling better. x

Suzie said...

I tagged you on my blog! You may have done this before, so don't worry about it if so, but if not - have a go, I found it quite fun!!