Thursday, December 06, 2007

Tied Up!

He tied up! :( Poor guy... It wasn't a serious case, so even if I had known what it was, the treatment would have been what I've done = take him out of work until he feels better.

The blood test showed his muscle values are returning to normal, and he should be OK within a few days, and then ready to be put slowly back to work.

I'm trying to adjust his feed to get less starch, it's hard when the only two feed options we have both have 20-25% starch :/ I think I'll talk to Brogaarden, a feed store that delivers to the barn, maybe their consultants can give me some good suggestions. While he's still poorly I've cut the grain down to half, and added extra hay, carrots, and lucerne, then hopefully I'll have a good plan for him by the time he's back in full work and needs full feed again...

1 comment:

Suzie said...

Poor Barokko - I hope he is recovering well now. It's a horrible experience when a horse ties up - I've only ever seen it once and it was a particularly bad case - very scary.