Monday, September 08, 2008

Un-blue...

Barokko was turned out alone Thurs-Sat to keep him from running around too much. Friday evening the swelling was almost gone, and he trotted out sound. I found a very small area of localized heat on the inside of the cannon bone, well away from joints and tendons. I concluded he probably just knocked himself, and his off-ness must have been a result of the swelling rather than the injury itself. It's still swollen in the mornings, but a little less each day. As long as he stays sound and the swelling continues going down I'll start working him lightly. I'm taking a break from riding anyway because my neck has been pretty painful lately, so it'll be longe and in-hand work - I'm glad I've learned how to work him constructively from the ground so he doesn't lose training just because I'm NQR!

Saturday, he moved to a different stall. It's bigger than the old one, and he's much less messy in the new stall :) Speaking of messy, there's a handful of hens that wander around at the barn. They poo all over the aisles and make a mess out of the bedding if the stall doors are open.So before leaving this morning, I went theough the barn to close all the stall doors, and in one of the other horses' stall a hen had made a little nest in the straw, and didn't want to leave when I clucked at her. I went in to shoo her out, and when she got up and fluttered out I could see that she had been sitting on an egg!! The dumb bird had cracked it, tho, otherwise I would have brought it home for breakfast :D

No comments: