Thursday, April 09, 2009

No infection

There's no infection, the BAL samples were clean, what a relief!

Today we started him on meds. Prednisolone (glucocorticosteroid) for 6 weeks supplemented with Equimucin (acetylcysteine) for the first 2 weeks. He's to be kept in light work while in treatment, he's just not supposed to be pushed to the point where he starts breathing hard. So it'll be walk and some trot. I'll use the time to keep him supple, obediant to the aids, further work on lateral movements, and I also plan to introduce him to the double bridle.

During the past couple of weeks I've begun getting him used to grass before the fructane really kicks in, and will move him onto 24-7 pasture once as he's done with his meds at the end of May. It's important that he gets the Prednisolone in the mornings because of the interaction with his natural hormone levels, so until the treatment's over it's most practical to let him stay stabled at night.

No comments: